What Is Property Maintenance?
September 21, 2022
On any given day, you’re likely to see a truck for an electrician, plumber, landscaping service, or pest exterminator. These professionals stay in business because no home or building lasts forever without some tender, loving care. Homeowners know this, and even more so, owners of apartment buildings and commercial properties know this.
This is why the hiring and retention of property maintenance services are so important. Property managers in Texas know that tenants thrive when the building and its surroundings look good and function properly. It goes without saying that this encourages occupants to stay longer and sustain rent increases.
Property Maintenance Services
Maintenance involves a variety of tasks and looks different from building to building. Some locations require a greater frequency and intensity of real estate maintenance services than others. These include:
- Senior living communities
- Public facilities like schools and courthouses
- Apartment complexes
- Industrial production sites
- High-rise office buildings
Places like these have many moving parts, each capable of malfunctioning or breaking down without notice and often at the worst times. In addition, each experiences heavy foot traffic, high power usage, and inordinate legal exposure. Needless to say, keeping things clean and in order requires a combination of services. Types of property maintenance are many and diverse and include the following.
- Elevator repair
- Electrical work
- Fire alarms and safety code compliance
- Locksmith service
Some of these technicians are needed daily, while others are needed less often.
The Advantages of Property Maintenance
Farming out maintenance property services might, at first thought, seem like an unnecessary luxury and not worth the expense. In fact, utilizing a reliable maintenance service can benefit the bottom line.
- For one thing, going with a service helps landlords to use the time otherwise spent on maintenance more efficiently.
- Retaining a single service to cover multiple properties also saves money in the long run.
- Delegating maintenance also frees up your mental bandwidth and emotional reserves for other responsibilities.
- It must be said: that seasoned professionals will likely do a better job than any real estate entrepreneur.
Real estate maintenance services are a line-item expense, but owners do well to examine the ways in which such hired assistance offsets other expenditures and stress sources. For those landlords with large or multiple properties, property maintenance services will, more likely than not, improve your building performance, both in the short and long run.
Hiring a Property Management Company
While depending on others for property management maintenance can be a boon to business, it is essential to be discerning when selecting a management firm to perform property maintenance services.
Ask yourself: what do property maintenance companies do that add value to my property? Improve appearance and attractiveness? Make the building more comfortable? More functional? Then you can look for a property management business that has a track record of consistent and effective results. Yet management is more than maintenance. The company should, at a minimum:
- Optimize rents to enhance revenue without alienating good tenants.
- Filter out undesirable applicants from potential lessees - e.g., checking credit, criminal backgrounds, etc.
- Preparing lease agreements according to best legal practices.
- Receiving deposits, rental payments, and other fees.
- Managing transitions like move-ins, departures, evictions, subleases, and renter complaints.
- Answering repair requests.
- Marketing units.
- Complying with landlord-tenant statutes and ordinances.
Clearly, property management is the delivery of maintenance services and so much more. Choosing one among many can be daunting, but it does not have to be the case. Keyrenter Houston is a Texas property management company that has partnered with residential apartment landlords since 2015, providing comprehensive management services.
From marketing and listing units to lease management to rent collection, safety assurance, and overall maintenance, we are a one-stop service that keeps the property intact and profitable while you tend to other pressing business matters. Start a conversation with us now to see if Keyrenter Houston is a good fit.